Umbeya is a pre-seed startup building a tool to spot junk information online. It’s designed to use crowd intelligence to spot fakes and sort the good information from the bad. We want to build a worldwide community whose judgements can be used to quickly verify any piece of content that users submit. We will analyse the crowd’s judgement and make the information available to all users, so that everyone can see what content is trustworthy, what should be taken with a pinch of salt, and what can safely be ignored.
We are starting with fake news because that looks like the biggest junk information problem right now, but we want to expand to other misinformation soon. We currently have a closed alpha prototype and are now recruiting for the project team to build our open beta, which will become our core platform. We’re based in London.
Full stack developer with a strong backend focus, for a cross-platform development project initially over web, and subsequently Android / iOS apps. You will be our full-stack lead, with core responsibility for building and managing the application backend. You will be working with a database systems architect and a frontend team.
We want a motivated and creative developer with a solid grasp of application development from the ground up. You will need to work both independently and in a small team, covering a range of development and implementation skills. Fast learning and autonomous decision-making will be basic requirements. The right fit will see rapid pay scaling and advancement. Equity included.
- In-depth experience with one or more of: Python, Ruby/Rails, Perl, PHP, Java
- In-depth experience using Linux / Apache / as hosting framework
- Experience using Git as version control
- Application design and implementation
Understanding of application API integration and scripting
- Strongly preferred: BSc Computer Science or equivalent
- Strongly preferred: Neo4J / OrientDB experience or understanding
- NoSQL native
- Cross-platform development experience
- Android Studio / SDK, X-Code / Swift SDK
- Agile or Lean development methodologies
- Algorithmic design and implementation
AWS hosting and deployment